recently released her first solo album under the name Jolei. Called
"Jolei" (Moon Caravan), the CD is a collection of a dozen
original tunes in rootsy, acoustic arrangements fleshed out by an
organic ensemble including violin, harmonica, banjo, saxophone,
piano and cornet. The album has a dreamy, quiet, hypnotic quality
that luxuriates in Bowden's intimate vocals, carving out a place
somewhere among old folk and country, early Joni Mitchell and art
song, and perhaps connecting the traditional to the avant-garde.
Rogovoy, Berkshires Week, July 2004
Bowden has had press (Rolling Stone,
lots of places) for her other work -- ask if you want
to see it -- and is looking forward to more response
to this new body of work.
Here's a list of songs from "Jolei"...you can listen
to a few of them on her "listen" page:
1. Here to Stay -- To the infinite
2. Wherever You Go -- Dedication.
3. Heartbreak Feeling -- Nowhere
to hide when I slipped again.
4. Landscape -- Saga of a boy
lost in the spell of inaccessible love.
5. Dream of a Day -- The dream
feels so authentic it permeates into awakened life.
6. Victim of Disguise -- Reflections
on logic, passion and protocol.
7. Invisible Child -- We leave
parts of ourselves behind.
8. Your Face -- An encounter with
a face already known in visions of the heart.
9. Loved by You -- From the heart
of the observer.
10. Parallel Motion -- Time/the
tao of moving in it side by side.
11. Hold On -- Song to a troubled
12. Rain -- Perfect, stunning,
She's recorded with: Joey Ramone, Chris
Frantz and Tina Weymouth, Jerry
and Karen Kletter, David
Roth, Iggy Pop, Arthur
Russell, Daisann McLane, John
Sherman, Steven Hall, Jonathan